The Women’s League of Washington College was founded in 1951 by Helen S. Gibson, then First Lady of the College. She saw her new group as a way to build closer ties between the college and its surrounding community of Chestertown, Maryland, the elegant colonial city on the banks of the Chester River.
Since its inception, the Women’s League has been a strong presence in the life of Chestertown, providing both social and civic opportunities to its members.
In May 2020 the Women’s League
$14,000 to Washington College:
$10,000 to the
Helen Gibson Scholarship Fund
$2,000 to the Miller Library
$2,000 to the
Women's League Endowment Fund
Since its founding,
the Women's League has donated more than $400,000 to Washington College.
Membership in the Women’s League is open to all women who wish to become part of the Washington College community.
In addition to volunteer activities that raise monies to benefit the College and its students, members enjoy a wide range of social events throughout the year.
It is not necessary to be a graduate of the college to participate.